
My friend Liz, lost her mom this morning to cancer. One of the first things that came to mind was this clip from Good Will Hunting, when he says, "You're an orphan, right? Do you think I know the first thing about that because I've read Oliver Twist?" I have no idea what to say to my friend because I really don't think I can really grasp the concept of that type of pain, having never experienced it myself. (And not wanting to ever!)
Liz is my second friend to lose a parent while we have been friends. The other was Natalie when she lost her dad. Both times, once I found out, I started crying. I personally didn't know either parent, but a loss that huge to someone I care about just hurts. My other friend Valor is the one that told me in this case, and I felt bad that I didn't know sooner. That something like that can go unnoticed. I felt like I should take a moment to acknowledge her pain and try to put into words how I was feeling.
The next line that came to mind was from V for Vendetta, "even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you." I thought of that line because even though I never met Liz's mom, I feel like I know her from Liz. She talks about her mom's strength even through her fight with cancer, and all of the lessons she has learned from her mom. I think Liz's mom would be incredibly proud of Liz for how she is handling all of this and the type of person she has become. Liz took over guardianship of her younger sister since she was a minor. (Here are some pictures I've taken of Liz with some of her sisters.)
So, to my friend Liz, I hope you know how much I love you and I am always here for you if you need me. I wish I knew better what to say to you, but I hope that helps in some small way.





3 comments:
I love you chelsee. Thank you for this.
What a beautiful picture of Lisa, who was indeed a strong, exemplary woman. Her life of goodness was a blessing to all who knew her. Our deepest sympathies to the Montgomery family.
I loved this post, Chelsee. You said things exactly in the way I would have wanted to, and everything you said makes sense. I feel so sad for Liz. She is a strong lady and she'll make it through this, thanks in part, I'm sure, to awesome friends like you! :) You have such a good heart, Chelsee.
Post a Comment